Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Health Week From Hell

In my last post, I mentioned running into some energy management issues. Little did I know that was just the beginning of what turned into a week of all kinds of setbacks.

It started on the 12th. Woke up with all kinds of stomach pain and nausea. So I moved Monday's rest day to Sunday and just took it easy. Felt like a million bucks Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday, I was feelin' the pain from Monday's routine (I KNEW I shouldn't have done that lateral jump burpee!) and walked away with knee troubles. Thursday and Friday were meant to give my knees a rest and push my upper body instead. Again, I pushed too hard and haven't been able to fully straighten my arms since!

I don't know if it's just plain, old fatigue, or something else, but this is the second weekend in a row that has kept me laid up whining...

A year ago, if you'd told me I'd be complaining because I can't workout, I'd have laughed in your face. =)

Saturday, the 18th, was a scheduled rest day. Met up with some girlfriends for happy hour and had a blast! Just had two beers...who have I turned into?! What happened to that gluttonous girl that I used to be?

Anyway, started to feel some stomach pangs on Saturday night. Didn't really think much of it. But when I woke up this morning, UGH. Another one of those days where the fetal position is the only comfortable place to be. For the first time in 80 days, I allowed myself to have an extra rest day.

I can't figure out what the problem is, and it's driving me nuts. I'm not eating anything I don't normally eat. The only noticeable change lately is that my workouts have gotten longer. Could it be that I am not eating enough after longer workouts?

Seems like a slippery slope, because I'm trying to make sure I maintain a caloric deficit, but I also have no desire to starve myself or under eat on top of working out too much. I know I'm not dehydrated... I drink over a gallon of water a day.

So, I took it way easy today, and I fully expect to be ready to hit it Monday morning.

3 comments:

  1. I'd run it by the doctor. The issues may not be directly related to your regimen. Self diagnosis can delay healing.

    I self diagnosed a cramp in my leg, which turned out to be much more serious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Good point. I've been told before to stop self-diagnosing. Probably time to stop being hard-headed, and get a professional opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely go see the doc; it's possible you may have pulled/strained your diaphragm, can lead to top of your stomach getting snugged up in there (your esophagus goes through the diaphragm) & give you some nasty tummy pains b/c it can make you reflux. (Burpees are tough on that area.) Bottom line, take care of yourself, mi amiga. *smooches*

    ReplyDelete