Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The end is here

And it couldn't have come any sooner. Undoubtedly the worst season Texas has seen since 1997 has mercifully come to a close. While 5-7 isn't the worst record a team could have, it's abysmal by Longhorn standards.

While 5-7 is mediocre, we finished at the bottom of the Big XII South for the first time in...I don't even know how long! We had a worse conference season than BAYLOR. I don't mean to always pick on the Bears, but we acknowledge their b-ball superiority, but to lose to them on the gridiron is just pitiful.

The season looked disappointing before it even started. Remember the National Title Game debacle last year? Colt got hurt IMMEDIATELY, and Garrett Gilbert crying on the sidelines? Not our best moment, but I'd still rather watch that game over and over than re-watch this season.

Unorganized is one word that comes to mind when describing the team dynamic in 2010. Confused, no chemistry, discombobulated, inexperienced, and poorly coached (this video about sums it up) overall are a few other words that come to mind.

I predicted 8-5, and I thought that was being pessimistic. HA! Can you believe I had us in a bowl game?!

There have always been eyebrow raising moments in the Longhorn playbook in the decade that I've been keeping up. I'm not calling for Greg Davis' head on a platter...but if we got a new Offensive Coordinator, I wouldn't be upset.

We ALL expected a transition team, and more losses than we'd become accustomed to, but none of us were expecting the season we suffered through.

Texas Football has got a mountain to climb this offseason.

And it all starts with rebuilding this team's confidence. We were sitting on top of the world, and then we fell from grace and got trampled by Bevo.

Coaches need to make these kids believe they can win, and win big. There's a lot on their shoulders, and sometimes we as fans expect the world. It's not our job to teach players to overcome that. If the team doesn't believe it can win, why should we?

While I still bleed Burnt Orange, I've learned from this season that I cry Burnt Orange too.

No comments:

Post a Comment