Friday, December 31, 2010

Bring it ON, 2011!

If ever a year of new beginnings was needed...

Here's what I'm looking forward to (sportwise) in 2011.

Chelsea FC - I'm expecting my Blues to rebound. Winning 2 out of their last 9 games is a pretty poor way to end the year. I guess I should have realized that it's ALWAYS a bad sign when your team peaks at the beginning of the season. With a season that runs as long as football, it's best to peak in late winter/early spring. Alas. Chelsea must work this out amongst themselves. I will say I'm sick of all this noise about Carlo needing to get the boot.

After their great season last year, Chelsea's still got all the talent to top the EPL once again. Their confidence took a huge blow the first half of the season, and now it's on their shoulders to let it roll off and keep on trucking. We need to stay aggressive and tune up the defense.

Am I worried? No. But I don't like that it'll come down to the wire again. CFC needs a win streak. Even 2 in a row would set us back on the right path. C'MON YOU BLUES!!!

Texas Longhorns - Where do I begin? We lost 5 coaches in a two week span? SCARY! Looks like our "rebuilding" year will carry into 2011. Mack's got to work on getting Garrett Gilbert's confidence back. Too many factors contributed to our fall from grace in 2010.

Now the hunt is on for a new OC and a new DC. Was VERY sad to see Muschamp leave, but how could he turn down a head coach position. And in the SEC, no less. GREAT competition over there. While I don't care much for the Gators, I'd still like to see Muschamp do well.

And while I understand we're supposed to look at these players as student athletes, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some transfers into the program after an abysmal season. I'd hate to see UT lose a non-major sport...so TEXAS FOOTBALL needs to fix the moneymaker. Because when it's broken, everyone suffers!

Tennis - I've only got a couple of weeks left before I pick up ATP and WTA tennis again! I can't wait. ATP shortened the season by two weeks (whooptie-doo) effective in 2012. I've already gushed over Rafa and my new love for Alexandr Dolgopolov Jr.

I said I was taking a break from tennis, and I stuck to it! Though, everyone I see that is friends with me on FB comments on my tennis rants. I find it hilarious. We may not have spoken in a few months, but they'll be able to tell when I'm upset over a loss or ecstatic about a win. I find it absolutely hilarious, and I look forward to more of that in 2011.

And I have tennis to thank for me joining Twitter this summer. Needed a place to vent my tennis frustrations and keep up with the tourney's I was missing. Found that and a few unexpected "twiendships." Looking forward to actually getting to more than one tennis tourney in 2011! Will keep y'all updated on which they'll be. Houston in April (@mensclaycourt) for sure and hopefully the USO in Sept!

Houston Texans - In an effort to not set off on a tirade, I'll say this: I'm not getting my hopes up for the shakeups we need. Based on Bob McNair's track record, I might be watching the same insufferable team from this year. 9 seasons and still no play-off berth. It has to happen eventually, yes? Or will I find myself wearing paper bags to games like Saints fans years ago?

In Closing...
2010 brought incredible highs and almost unbearable lows. There were plenty of high-fives, chest bumps (yes, girls do it too!), hugs, and rounds of beer to celebrate. But we must also count the tears, the heartache, the begging and yelling, and the rounds of beer to drown away our sorrows. A roller coaster year if I've ever lived through one. Would be a liar if I said I was sad to see 2010 go. So out with the old! Exciting prospects lie ahead in 2011. I hope to see a few tennis careers take flight, two football franchises come back from the brink, a footy team realize it's their season to lose and no one else's to win, and LOTS AND LOTS of LIVE sports!!!

For those of you that took the journey with me here at Sports For Breakfast, thank you!!! I hope I haven't scared you off. Stick around for another sport filled year. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment