Friday, October 5, 2012

Vocabulary Check

Remember taking vocab quizzes in grade school? It was always one of my favorite quizzes because I always aced them. That's not an exaggeration. Not because I'm incredibly smart, but because I was always really good at rote memorization.

I've been taking positive self-talk seriously on this journey because I believe words have power. There are some days where I don't always buy into what I'm selling, but I say it aloud on purpose so I can hear it. The more I hear it, the more it'll start to sink in. "Fake it 'til you make it!"

Even though I just broke into a new decade on the scale, I found myself letting poor vocab slip back into my morning. So I wanted to stop it right now. I've come too far, still have too far to go to let those kinds of negative thoughts hold me back.

The first thing I said when I got off the scale was, "I only lost a pound and a half." I need to cut that out. I was called out once before by a WW friend on using the word "only." It was my one month point on WW, and I was complaining that I'd only lost 14.5lbs in my first month. Here's what she told me, "Get the word "only" out of your vocab - your results are excellent and by diminishing them, you're probably making other bloggers crazy!"

So, when I felt disappointed in my 1.5lb loss this morning, I quickly reminded myself that I only needed 0.5lb to be at "the next 10lbs." I also pointed out that my actual target is, in fact, 1.5lbs lost per week. Which means I'm right on track. I also had to remind myself that I'm coming off 10 days of a diet break. And with 4 days back on track for Project Autumn Leans, 1.5lbs is AWESOME!

Was that a little horn tootin'? You bet your ass it was. I stopped the panic train before it left the station, got all of my emotions in check, and I'm ready to barrel ahead into this week.

Remember, it starts within.

1 comment: